Followers

Tuesday 9 August 2016

Memories are...

...made of this.

Yesterday as I left the office I passed a young mum and her little one playing "don't step on the cracks" - it was such fun seeing the pure enjoyment on the little ones face as he held his mom's hand and tried to step from paving slab to paving slab without stepping on the joins. This is the stuff childhood memories should be made of...not 24/7 in front of a TV or stuck to a mobile phone. Life should be fun - the world makes children grow up quick enough without robbing them of simple joys like this.

As a child (pre-school) I stayed with my Grandparents for extended periods as my Mum was in and out of hospital during her pregnancy with my Sister and in those days there was no 'paternity leave' so Dad had to continue going to work each day.

One of my fondest memories of that time was captured in this photo...
...I loved to spend time 'helping' Granddad in the garden (running back and forth carrying veg or flowers to Gran in the kitchen) and if I had been good, I would be given one of Granddads Gold sweets. He loved butterscotch and the brand he bought were in a box with each rectangular piece wrapped in gold foil. It was such a treat to be given one of these treasures.

The garden at my Grandparents house was very long and narrow but Granddad had the borders brimming with colourful flowers and at the end of the garden was the raised veg area along with his "little shed" (it had originally been the family Andersen shelter). Next to the house was the coal bunker and the larger shed, along with Granddad's 'planning' bench.

I was too young to know or realise that my Granddad had been retired early due to Emphysema and as much as he loved his garden the effort involved made it difficult for him to breath - so we would sit for a while and plan the garden or plan how we would spend the day.

It makes me sad to see so many children now relying on phones and things to keep themselves amused because the adults in their lives don't seem (or want) to have the time to spend with them. We live in a digital age but there are some things that all children should have the joy of experiencing.

I'm just glad that at least I have these wonderful memories...............................................

5 comments:

Virginia said...

What a lovely trip down memory lane, it is unfortunately a sign of the digital age where everyone is attached to a phone or a device and I worry for the next generation who won't get to enjoy the very simple things in life!

For said 15 year old, his early years included the joy of cardboard boxes - he literally could turn them into anything! It's the little things and the little memories that make the biggest impressions!

Redanne said...

What wonderful memories you have to look back on Toni. You are so right about children these days and sadly parents don't let them out to play in the street (or even in the mud as we did) for fear of what (or who) they might encounter out there alone. It is all very sad... I remember spending idyllic summers down on the beach with my brother and not a single adult in sight! Anne xx

Anonymous said...

Aww what happy memories and a great photo.... I remember when we were kids playing 'don't stand on the cracks'!!! Happy days...xx

Marianne's Craftroom said...

Very well said and what a lovely photo. I remember those sweets, they seemed so special wrapped in gold, I am glad I played in the streets as a child, not chasing imaginary creatures via my phone. Playtime with children is so important

Sandra said...

They say every generation thinks theirs was the best, maybe that's true, as I certainly feel we were the lucky ones. Why a beautiful treasured photo you have here Toni. It's perfect xxx