Followers

Monday 20 March 2017

"Spring is sprung...

...the grass is riz.

I wonders where the birdies is.
The birdies they is on the wing.
Now ain't that absurd?
I thought the wings was on the bird."

I learnt this rhyme when I was young and never knew where it came from. A quick search of the 'interweb' shows that there is some debate as to whether this is one rhyme or two that have become linked over time. The author(s) is another question that seems to cause debate.

All I know is that I learnt it as a child and thought it was fun.
 
The "Thurrock Blooming Marvels" have been hard at work getting the town planting ready for Spring...
...and this bed is already starting to catch the eye...
 ...the mini 'tete-a-tete' daffs are bobbing about in the breeze...
...and providing a lovely splash of colour.

Spring is one of those times when I wish I had a dash-cam in my car because the 'Blooming Marvels' have done a wonderful job around the area with masses of daffs of all sizes & shades on roundabouts and along the duel-carridgeways - if there was somewhere safe to stop I would take some photos but as this is the route in & out of the Gateway Port it is a 'Clearway' so no stopping.

So I can't share all the wonderful planting in the area with you but I can assure you, the 'Marvels' have done a fabulous job and it certainly makes me smile as I drive by these 'fields' of daffs.................................................................

5 comments:

Marianne's Craftroom said...

I rember that rhyme too. Lovely daffs

Stef H said...

never, ever heard that rhyme before and it sure brought a smile to my face! makes perfect sense to me too! LOL

today is the 1st day of spring here in the USA. big deal. it's stormy, thundering, lightening and rain. the dog is a nervous wreck. she's not fond of storms and she hovers close to me. supposed to be only for today. the temps are warming up and the days are getting longer. life is good.

have a great week.

hugs :)

Redanne said...

I love daffs, they always herald the start of Spring in my book, just wish the weather up here in the north, matched (it is hailing here at the moment - lol). Sadly, I don't know that rhyme but I love it! Anne xx

Lori said...

Such pretty flowers and so wonderful that they are planting such pretties for everyone's enjoyment! I've never heard the bird rhyme before - love little poems like that!

Sandra said...

I've never heard that rhyme before, but it certainly made me smile. I think we're a very lucky country to have councils put on flower displays like these, I so love seeing them on all the roundabouts too xx